Smelly Finger Tshirts

Smelly Finger Tshirts
Be Funny

Thursday, June 21, 2012

How Did Black Face Make Its Way On Dragon Ball Z

I was watching an episode of Dragon Ball Z, one of my favorite shows of all time, when I saw something that finally just made me ask, How does that happen? It was Mr. Popo (I think that’s spelled right) this guy is kind of just an extra type character but hangs out throughout the entire thing. This guy has been drawn with, what I think, a deliberate black face.

At first, when I would watch the show I would just think, “Holy crap, that guys really black!” Then you start to notice that there are no other black characters on the show. Everyone on the show comes from a planet, even earth is filled with earthly anthropomorphized cartoon characters like pigs and dogs. But this guy doesn’t look like anyone outside of a racist cartoon drawing. There are other characters with the same exaggerated lips and were different colors but to me it seemed more like an attempt at justifying drawing that one character the way they did.

So, my question is, How does this type of stuff end up on TV? This cartoon is an anime so it first got on tv in Japan, right? What do those people have against black people. I have never heard of negative stereotypes coming from Asians against black people, unless I am totally unaware of them.

2 comments:

  1. You *are* "totally unaware of them" apparently. Asians are as racist as any other race. (How racist of you to think asians are not racist ;) Japan is one of the most xenophobic cultures there is.
    The original Dragon Ball series also had other black people always drawn in blackface.
    Apparently I just read the new Kai edits, specifically the ones from the CW, color Mr. Popo blue to hide it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im from Brazil, sorry for the bad english. Here people really like this anime and few realize the racism behind the character Sr.Popo, only consider an ordinary black people.

    ReplyDelete